[3830] ARRLDX SSB P40A (KK9A, op) SOSB/15 HP + STORY

p40a at iguanavilla.com p40a at iguanavilla.com
Wed Mar 27 18:41:50 EST 2002

                   ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P4/KK9A

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Aruba

Total:  3550    59  Total Score = 628,350

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Transceiver:  Yaesu FT1000MP Mark-V
Amplifier: Alpha Power 91B
Antenna:  Hy-gain 204BA (parts) @ 45'

This was my second contest from my newly acquired home in Aruba.  I had a
lot of luggage as usual and no room for any antennas.  I had a Hy-gain 204BA
in Aruba storage, but I didn't really want to do a 20m single band effort at
this point in the sunspot cycle, so I choose to use it on 15m. I used about
half the boom and shorten three of the elements to make a 3el 15m yagi,
electrically similar to the Hy-gain 153CA.  When I first put it up it was
very noisy (not QRN).  The end elements were sticking so far into their
mating section and the loose fit inside the tube created a terrible rattle.
I took down the antenna and wrapped layers of tape on the end sections to
minimize the gap with the mating tube and this cured the rattle noise.  The
contest started and 15m was hot.  In my first hour I logged over 300
contacts.  Rates slowly dropped over the next few hours, and after five
hours I had over 1,200 QSO.   I went to bed after 1,300 contacts and I had
dreams of breaking the 15m record.  The next morning started very slow -
around 60/hour.  Conditions were too good from the U.S. to Europe and I was
on the side of everyone's beam.  It never really picked up and I only broke
100/hour 9 times after the first night's great  run.  I worked 1/3 of my
total QSO's and all but two of my multipliers in the first 5 hours. I think
my signal was good, I just quickly ran out of new people in the U.S. and
Canada to work and the record slipped away.

During my two week stay in Aruba I went to an Aruba Amateur Radio Club
meeting where I met a lot of local hams.  I also visited  AI6V/P40V and
VE3MR/P49MR at their homes. I did some windsurfing,  I spent some time
nearly everyday (except the two contest days) on the beach, and did the
usual tourist stuff with my YL - shopping and dining out.  I also did
several minor home repairs and kept a couple of locals busy installing some
guy anchor posts.  I now have two anchors installed and hopefully I'll get
the third installed next visit so the tower can start to grow a little.  For
now it remains at 40' and without any antennas.  If you want a nice family
vacation at a place that's ham friendly with an empty tower (for now),
please email me or visit my site.

73,
John  KK9A / P40A
http://www.iguanavilla.com