[3830] CQWW SSB VE3FU SOSB/40 HP

ve3fu at rac.ca ve3fu@rac.ca
Fri Nov 1 02:10:31 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40:  385    18       71

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Equipment: TS-950SD, SB200, 4-sqr

What an embarassing score!  The EU wall is much higher and much thicker than I
anticipated on 40m.  I borrowed an amp so I wouldn't have to go LP, but it still
felt like I was running LP.  Judging by some of the signals I heard last
weekend, anything less than 1.5KW is LP :=)  I had a few EU tell me that I was
loud but the QRM was horrendous - but I guess that's 40m SSB. I heard at least 7
more zones (13, 17, 19, 21, 22, 25, 29) and 22 more countries (3V8, J49, D4,
UT4, OZ, EI, OH0, PZ, EY, YO, HK, LU, ZL7, UA9, VK, JA, ZL, CP, CT, V3, 9K, VU2)
that I couldn't work, not matter how many times I called.  I did a lot of
S&Ping, but it's a good thing I did - if I didn't I would have wound up with 4
Zones (2, 3, 4, 5) and 2 countries (VE, W), since no DX answered my CQ's.  Can
anyone tell me what's so special about 7.205 to 7.210MHz?  At times it seemed
like there were an awful lot of guys trying to listen in those 6Khz while the
rest of the band was relatively quiet.

Give me a CW contest anyday!

Chris