[3830] CQWW SSB K2UA M/S HP

k2ua at earthlink.net k2ua at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 1 09:32:03 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K2UA
Operator(s): K2UA, N2MG
Station: K2UA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WNY

  160:   13     6        9
   80:   53    15       35
   40:   70    17       42
   20:  323    32      114
   15:  738    32      122
   10:  901    30      114

N2MG and I were doing our fourth annual CQWW SSB fun-fest from my place. But
nobody else in the regular crew could make it, so rather than killing ourselves,
we just decided to work a lot of guys and have a good time.

Before we made that decision (ie, before we knew we would be the full "crew"),
we had decided we'd find all our own multipliers, rather than use packet--for
which I have developed a seriously bad taste. Packet isn't part of contesting
for me anymore. Finding and passing mults is also a lot more fun than packet
pile-ups are! We ran into a few, but for the most part we were rewarded by
getting to the multipliers when there wasn't a huge pile.

We slept for 6 hours each night, and took a break for dinner with the family
Saturday evening, things like that. More than once we took off our headphones
and BS'd in the shack for 20 minutes about some relevant topic, like how to keep
the second PC from crashing because it was about to run out of memory, and the
humorous aspects of various toadly behavior, like those guys who never stop
calling in a pile-up, and blatantly calling DX stations outside the US
sub-bands.

Along the way we found a few things that need to be tweaked before CQWW CW, and
verified that the new four-square on 80 gets the job done--even though the
numbers don't show it because we weren't on the air during prime EU times on the
low bands.

Even though we'll probably never do a contest this casually again, it was a
great time and made the stinky propagation Saturday easier to take!

--73, Rus, K2UA