[3830] SS CW K8MR Single Op Multi Station Tour

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Nov 7 10:43:30 EST 2002

The results of the K8MR 2002 CW SS Tour:

N8TR     318      69         43,884        4:47
AC8E    333       69        45,954         4:58
K8MR    380      72         54,720        5:25
W8AJ    336       72        48,384        4:30
K8AZ     401      72         57,744        4:30

Total      1768     79        250,686       24:13

By Band:

N8TR     0          184       69        40   25

AC8E    135       126       62        0    0
K8MR    108      27        206       34  5
W8AJ    0          4          279       33   20
K8AZ     51        95         255      0     0

Total      294      446       871       107       50

Mults Missed:

N8TR     ME NNY WY IA NL MAR QC MB AB YT AK
AC8E    ENY ID MT WY SD NL MB SK AB YT PR
K8MR    SC SF MT NL QC AB YT AK
W8AJ    NNY SF MT ND NL MB YT AK
K8AZ     NNY SC SJV MAR QC AB YT AK

It was another fun year on tour, enjoying SS in a way that has the rate
*increasing* as the contest goes on.

Like others in this part of the country, the start went rather slowly. It
took a lot of second radio effort at N8TR to keep the rate up.  Even though
40 and even 20 sounded good, I very seldom lost a run frequency while making
a second radio qsos on 15 or 10.  Most unusual event was a Nebraska run,
working K0DG and N9JF/0 in consecutive qsos.

The AC8E score is for my part only.  I believe John got on later, which will
make the official entry a multiop. The band conditions were headed south (pun
intended) by the time I was here, though with some moderate second radio use
things kept going.

I did about 45 minutes at home before getting some sleep, followed by 4.5
hours Sunday morning. Since my main antenna is a PRO-67A, my SO2R is limited
to 80 meters and some other band, which was useful for the first hour on
Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon was spent at W8AJ. The K index peaked up to 5 during this
time, and I noticed how weak the west coast was on 20 while at the same time
the 9s were still booming in. Dilemma of the weekend: while digging out a
very weak one, K2NNY opened up on my freq.  I asked him to pse qsy, which he
did, but I missed NNY from W8AJ.

As usual, the best rates came from the best station, at the end of the
contest, at K8AZ. I had the last 100 qso rate meter over 100, and peaked the
10 minute one at about 150.

Overall, YT was the only section I missed. I heard VY1JA once from home on
10M, answering a CQ.  I tried sliding up a half KHz and calling, but no luck.
 A very auroral VO1MP on 40 at K8AZ was the only NL qso.

I did make my overall goal of my combined scores beating WP3R.  This holds
even deleting the 17 qsos I made after hour 24 of total operation. It's
clearly an apples and oranges comparison, but it's not as easy to do as it
might seem at first glance.

As always, it was fun keeping up the rate for 24 hours, and seeing who of the
big guys were most proficient at finding me on their second radio.
(unofficial winner: some QRPer in LA).

73  -  Jim  K8MR

multipart/alternative
  text/html