[3830] SS CW WB6BWZ Single Op QRP

wb6bwz at arrl.net wb6bwz at arrl.net
Sun Nov 10 02:28:07 EST 2002

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WB6BWZ
Operator(s): WB6BWZ
Station: WB6BWZ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: GA

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Propagation and activity were very good on 40, 15 and 10M. Did not have
opportunity to try 20 and 80M.

Decided to try contesting a year ago when I returned to HF after being dormant
since 1987. Been involved mostly in public service communications (ARES, NTS,
CD, MARS & CAP) since becoming a ham in 1958.

Made an extra effort to check the novice/tech bands and work QRS stations in the
upper end of the bands.

Highlights were (1) hearing SEVERAL stations QRS to my pre-set 20 wpm (and other
QRS stations) while sending their exchange; (2) Q's with five other QRP
stations, including W5WMU <g>.

   There is no external cw speed knob on my rig; I have to access the internal
menu to adjust the built-in electronic keyer speed. Very inconvenient.

I believe it was on the CQ-CONTESTING Reflector where QRP CW (ideal) contesting
speed is/was being discussed. My unscientific tests indicated that for my
"not-ideal-for contest callsign" and basic station configuration, stations
copied my call correctly at 18 wpm almost all the time. At 20 wpm, about 70-80
pct of the stations copied my call correctly. At 22 wpm, the error rate
approached 50 pct. (1:3 dot-dash ratio)

Setup: Yaesu FT-817 QRP xcvr, 5 watts to 5-MHz OCF 28-ga insulated wire stealth
antenna up 40 feet in heavy foliage trees next to I-75 in downtown Atlanta
industrial area.