[3830] SS SSB WB1GQR(W1SJ) SO Unlimited HP

w1sj at arrl.net w1sj at arrl.net
Mon Nov 18 18:03:31 EST 2002

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

This year I started out well and equalled the best score I've ever amassed at
the half way point. I pretty much stuck to my game plan and the bands
cooperated.

Now, Sunday... well it wasn't pretty. In fact, it was a struggle. That has been
drill for the last 3 years.  Last year I tried to tough it out in one spot.
This year, I moved more, but not fast enough. After 60 minutes, I would work out
each of the the bands - and this reduced to 45 minutes later in the
afternoon. It seemed like everyone needed a repeat of my 4-digit serial number
on Sunday. That must be the price of success!

I was gunning for last year's Unlimited Champ K7BV, as he moved from NV to CT.
But, Dennis was just playing around this weekend. And then, I almost missed NV -
they were few and far between without K7BV! No one should have had trouble with
Vermont, though. There were so many big scores here, it was like operating from
STX!

Nothing broke down! With a station with 20-25 year old equipment (and an even
older op), that's wonderful!
73, Mitch