[3830] SS SSB W5KFT(WM5R) Single Op HP

wm5r at arrl.net wm5r at arrl.net
Wed Nov 20 09:38:05 EST 2002

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5KFT
Operator(s): WM5R
Station: W5KFT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX

This was my first single-operator effort in the Phone Sweepstakes
after many years of operating in the Multi-Single category.

We had some problems getting the WX0B SO2R Master to work for us
on phone.  It had been used at the station for two-radio CW
contesting several times, but nothing Robert and I tried could get
the box to switch either mic audio or PTT.  About an hour before
the contest, we gave up and re-cabled everything for one radio,
which may have been just as well, as I've never used two radios
in the Sweepstakes before and the full-blown single-operator
experience in this contest was enough to handle as it was.

The only subsequent major equipment problem I had was when the
Ameritron AL-1500 amplifier I was using began to reduce power, trip
off, and soon thereafter stops amplifying altogether on Sunday
morning. I took a half hour of off-time to see if I could figure
it out, but ended up moving the cables over to the other AL-1500.
At least it didn't happen Saturday afternoon.

I got off to a pretty good start, I think, ending up with 590
QSOs after five hours.  Changing bands with one radio in this
contest was sometimes painful, and I had trouble with both of my
band changes to 20 and then 40.  I think I waited too long in
both cases, especially on the move to 40.  I couldn't really
find a good frequency on 40, and when I'd find something acceptable,
a few minutes later some change in EU broadcast programming would
start to wipe me out or something.  Plus, right around 0330 - 0400,
I started getting really tired.  I don't think I'd fully recovered
my sleep schedule from my trip to New Zealand a couple of weeks
before, followed by long days and evenings moving into a new house.
I actually had to take an off-time from 0353-0424 I was feeling so
terrible.  Eating some food and walking around a bit helped me
quite a bit.  Staying awake until 0700 was still a real struggle,
though.  From about 0230 onward, I felt like I was having my butt
kicked.  I didn't have any one serious failure or problem - but I
was out of sync, couldn't get into a rhythm, felt terrible, and
generally under-performed.

I woke up after a little under four hours of sleep, and a quick
breakfast, not feeling really great, but I had what I think was
a pretty decent run on 40 for that time of day.  Things started
to slow down considerably, though, probably as I ran out of
contesters to work who were awake, and nothing was really happening
on 20 yet, so I took another off time to lay in bed and be catatonic,
but I never really fell asleep.  I got up, started making some
QSOs, felt like it was something of a struggle, and then noticed
the problems with the amp.  So, I took another off-time, but in
this one I got to move around a bit, ate a tortilla, and stretched,
which helped wake me up.

Starting around 1400, things started to pick up for the day, and
I kept going along at a steady pace for the rest of the morning.
I even had an 82 hour from 1600-1700 UTC.  I have a few hours
significantly below 60 QSOs midday that should not have happened.  In
a couple of cases, I made band changes that were less productive
than staying where I was would have been.  In retrospect, I should
have taken my last off-time around noon instead of near the
end of the contest - I had a nice rate bump in the 0100 hour that
I might have been able to carry through to the end.  I have
lots to learn still about how to maximize my QSO total on Sunday
in this contest.

Every section called me at least once except for VI.  I came across
two KP2 multi-single stations within a few kHz or each other
while hunting for a run frequency on 20 on Sunday morning, and worked
both.  I never heard another KP2 station for the rest of the contest.
My last section was the only one for which I had one QSO: A VY1
station found me with under four hours to go.

I was surprised by some of the sections in my worked-mults
distribution.  For instance, I worked more stations in Montana
than 28 other sections.  I worked more stations in Montana than
Western Massachusetts, San Diego, Alberta, or South Carolina.
The last section in the lower 48 that I worked was Alabama.  And I
only worked three stations in Alabama!  I worked 70 stations in
Maryland, but only 4 in Delaware!  From my location in EM00,
Washington, D.C. is clearly the big metro area with a ham population
that figures importantly in a big score.  Chicago and New York
are the next closest, with about 80% as many QSOs as the Washington
D.C. area.  A section that seems to be much rarer than it should
be is Alberta.  I worked only five stations in VE6.  There are really
big cities in VE6!  Alberta was my last section worked last year,
too.  I worked more stations in Alaska, Wyoming, and Eastern
Washington than I did in VE6.  I worked almost _ten times_ as many
stations in Western Washington as I did in Alberta.  Are the hams
in Western Washington really that much more active than those in
Alberta?

I have operated some contests where everything just clicked and
I could feel like I was operating on all cylinders for the entire
contest.  This was not one of those weekends.  Sweepstakes is a
much harder contest as a single operator than I thought it would be
I am very grateful for W5KFT and K5PI for getting me out to the Ranch
for the contest this weekend.

   Radio: Kenwood TS-850SAT
     Amp: Ameritron AL-1500
 Headset: Heil Proset Plus
Software: TR LOG 6.69
     DVK: W9XT Contest Card
Antennas: http://www.ctdxcc.org/~w5kft/

  HOUR   80SSB   40SSB   20SSB   15SSB   10SSB   TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0       0     147       0     147     147
   22       0       0       0      53      61     114     261
   23       0       0       0      89      23     112     373
    0       0       8       3      84       0      95     468
    1       0       0     122       0       0     122     590
    2       0      20      52       2       0      74     664
    3      14      22       7       0       0      43     707
    4       0      31       0       0       0      31     738
    5      24      26       0       0       0      50     788
    6       0      49       0       0       0      49     837
    7       0       0       0       0       0       0     837
    8       0       0       0       0       0       0     837
    9       0       0       0       0       0       0     837
   10       0       0       0       0       0       0     837
   11       0      63       0       0       0      63     900
   12       0       1      16       0       0      17     917
   13       0       0      15       1       0      16     933
   14       0       0      69       0       0      69    1002
   15       0       0      15      48       0      63    1065
   16       0       0       0      82       0      82    1147
   17       0       0       0      33      10      43    1190
   18       0       0       0      51       0      51    1241
   19       0       0       3      38       0      41    1282
   20       0       0       0      38      19      57    1339
   21       0       0       1       8      28      37    1376
   22       0       0       3      54       0      57    1433
   23       0       0      53       0       0      53    1486
    0       0       0      51       0       0      51    1537
    1       0       0      69       0       0      69    1606
    2       0       0      22       0       0      22    1628
  TOTAL    38     220     501     728     141

   1.           Il  119
   2.           Va   74
   3.          Mdc   70
   4.           Oh   69