[3830] SS SSB K6NA(N6ED) Single Op HP

N6ED at qsl.net N6ED at qsl.net
Wed Nov 20 14:11:53 EST 2002

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6NA
Operator(s): N6ED
Station: K6NA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SDG

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My effort was almost a carbon copy of last year's score but with a big
reversal in 10 and 15m.  One might think it had to do with declining
sunspots or wierd propagation.  On the contrary, prop was good from W6 on
10m and there was no shortage of stations on the band except that we were
enduring what is called a "Santa Ana condition" which is a strong wind out
of the east that blows from the dry desert towards the west and causes
constant and loud static on all HF bands.  While enjoying 85 degree weather
and sunshine all week, I knew what was in store for the weekend and sure
enough, I was hit smack in the face with S9 static all weekend.  This
was most apparent on 10m which for all practical purposes made the band
useless for me.  Even so, I worked 310 stns who were over S9!!
I noticed many northern CA guys with big 10m numbers which kind of proves
to me that I lost the contest on 10m :(
All in all, the contest this year was exciting for me, hearing old friends
and working lots of "new blood" all over the bands.  I hope this is a new
trend and we will see even more folks getting on for contests.  Makes things
more enjoyable when sitting in front of a radio for 24 hours!!!
Also a special shot out to K5TR, K4XS, WB0O, W0SD, and W7WA for keeping me
interested on Sunday.  I was within striking distance of these guys at the
end of Saturday and somehow when I woke up on Sunday, I was 100 Q's behind
them!!!  Guess more strategizing for next year is necessary ;-)

As usual, a special thanks to Glenn K6NA and his wife Jane for putting up
with an obnoxious phone op all weekend an being kind enough to feed him
at the same time :)

See you all in the next one!

73 de Craig N6ED