[3830] CQWW CW NR3X(N4YDU) SOAB LP

n4ydu at att.net n4ydu at att.net
Sun Nov 24 16:38:56 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NR3X
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NC

  160:   45     5       11
   80:   88    11       43
   40:  270    20       81
   20:  192    25       84
   15:  391    30      101
   10:  414    27       95

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was a long grind on Sunday afternoon. I wanted to get to two million and did
it with just 10 minutes left. It really wore me out.

First time I've operated 40 hours in any contest. I'm paying the price. My new
favorite energy drink, Red Bull, was quite effective. I drank six of them. I
should have bought more. After slurping them down early Sunday morning I felt
kind of strange, but I got over it.

Conditions weren't the greatest, but they were OK. The openings to Europe
weren't as long as in years past. The low bands were OK at best. I had fun both
nights staying up for European sunrise.

The biggest improvement to the shack was the simple audio mixing unit that
Dunestar sells for SO2R. It made SO2R much more enjoyable.

The only failure was my remote antenna tuner for a wire antenna that stopped
working. As it turned out my new puppy had chewed through the 12 volt line in
the shack that controls it...It was easy to fix. He didn't offer to help,
though.

Radios:  Ten Tec OMNI VI and Icom 756
Antennas: Two tribanders, one at 35 feet and the other at 20, both rotatable.
Dipole for 40M at 70 feet, ground plane for 80M and INV L for 160. Also a 160
foot wire for the second rig.
One 250 foot beverage for receive...