[3830] CQWW CW 4G1A(N2NL) SOAB HP

n2nl at yahoo.com n2nl at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 10:35:25 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 4G1A
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: 4G1A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Philippines

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  141    15       17
   40:  562    30       67
   20:  427    33       75
   15:  830    31       73
   10:  652    25       61

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

1st of all, a big thanks to Rey, 4F1FZ (station host), 4F1DLC (CW Philippines
prez), and the whole CW Philippines group who came out in droves to help me get
on and kept me company during the contest.  I'm honored to have them as friends
and their help was incredible.

The primary purpose of my trip to the Philippines was for a formal church
wedding with my XYL, Mickey.  It just happened that I would be there for the
CQWW CW contest.  I was hoping to operate the entire 48 hours but due to my
schedule and some serious Murphy visits I only was able to operate for the 1st
24 hours or so.

80m: dipole @ only 20ft or so (way too low but the only thing available)
40m: delta loop @ 55ft (the DU boys tied a 30ft piece of bamboo in the top of a
mango tree - the antenna kicked butt)
20/15/10m: A4S tribander @ 35ft (rotator seized to the south about 30 minutes
before the contest started.  I ended up turning the antenna manually with a rope
tied around the boom)

FT1000MP/SB221 (Amp provided by WH0V - TNX Jun!)

Operating plan was simple: run like heck for the 1st 24 hours and pack it in.  I
tried to run on bands which were open to EU or NA, even if the rate was slower.
Conditions seemed much better from DU than KH2, I had some cool LP openings to
EU on 20 and the USA on 40.  USA was coming over the pole on 20m almost the
entire time.

-10m is trashed over there.  S7-9 SSB crap, noise, and splatter across the band
out of SE Asia.  Sorry I had trouble with the weaker guys on this band. 10m is
now worse than 40 in Asia.
-cool to hear all the activity from BY, HS, and HL.  The BY guys are sounding
good, and really know how to work the code.
-Fun to work a bunch of the guys on multiple bands, and enjoyed moving when
asked.  The only time I wouldn't go was for 80, which I was often asked, but
really out of the realm of possibility with the antenna I had.

   Im dissapointed not to be able to go the whole 48 hours, but neither the
station or myself were ready for a full effort.  I'll defenitely be back in the
future, with more time to set up and prepare.  Eventually, a few years down the
road, I'll have my own station there and will probably be QRV from a couple
months of the year from DU.

   Hope I was able to help out with a mult.

73, Dave N2NL