[3830] CQWW CW WI9WI SOAB HP

jhfitzpa at wisc.edu jhfitzpa at wisc.edu
Fri Nov 29 13:06:47 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WI

  160:    9     6        5
   80:   34    11       23
   40:  193    24       81
   20:  139    33       66
   15:  246    29       81
   10:  217    22       74
------------------------------
Total:  838   125      330  Total Score = 1,038,765

Club: Four Lakes ARC

Comments:

Things started out slowly, and stayed that way. Lots of aurora on Fri nite, 10
was dead at the start, not even any strong SA, 15 was close to dead, as was 20.
Forty was OK, and 80 and 160  very poor. I'm in the upper midwest just beneath
the auroral ovel in N. Wisconsin. Managed to run on 40 a while. Saturday AM was
as expected, late openings on 10 and 15. Usually I can run all morning on those
bands, but just managed a few short runs on 15. Conditions got better Saturday
nite and Sunday, but never could get much in the way of runs going, so this
turned into an S & P contest for me. Twenty was a disaster from here. My best
antennas are on 20, but never could get any kind of run going. The openings to
Eu were short, with a lot of D absorbtion during the day and when the MUF
dropped it dropped right through 20 like a rock. Interestingly because of all
the S & P, my multiplier total was close to what it was the last time I operated
this contest from Wisconsin 2 years ago, but in 2000 I made 2000 QSOs and 2M+
pts. We are obviously starting the slide towards solar minimum. Only 6 band QSOs
PJ2T and HC6N. A number on 80 thru 10.

Some great scores out there considering conditions

73 and great contestiong to all

Jim

WI9WI