[3830] Oceania CW ZL6QH M/M HP

brianmiller at xtra.co.nz brianmiller at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 16 13:17:24 EDT 2002

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): ZL2BSJ ZL2III(DK1II) ZL1BYZ ZL1AZE
Station: ZL6QH

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Wellington, New Zeal

  160:    7      7
   80:   47     34
Total: 2328   1145  Total Score = 7,167,700

This was a real FUN contest. It looks like we will beat our record score of
6.86M in 1999. Conditions were much better than the PHONE contest, especially on
10m where we had good openings to Europe on both Saturday and Sunday evenings.

The usual 80m runs to Europe did not happen this year - only managed to work 5
stations YL2LY, SM5CEU, RN6BM, OM0WR and EA4MY.

We did have some problems with local rain static noise around sunset on Sunday
evening. The static produced S9 noise on the low bands so we apologise for not
being able to copy signals during that period.

Here is the continent breakdown. Pleasing to see the North America percentage up
from 22% in the Phone contest to 34%. The Asia percentage is well down -
possibly due to competition from the local domestic JA contest.

North America   34.5%
South America   1.1%
Europe          48.5%
Asia            12.2%
Africa          0.1%
Oceania         3.5%

RADIOS: Station 1 = FT1000MP; Station 2 = IC751;

LOGGING: CT 9.81

ANTENNAS: Vee beams with 300m legs to Europe (SP & LP), North America (SP & LP)
and Australia/Asia; 6 el yagi for 10m SP to North America; Rhombic with 100m
legs to Europe (SP & LP); 160m Delta Loop; Longwire for 160m (highest point 40m
AGL).

THANKS to everyone for the QSOs, the Wellington Amateur Radio Club for the
excellent ZL6QH facilities and the organising committee for another enjoyable
contest. CU all again next year.

Brian ZL1AZE
for ZL6QH team