[3830] CQWW SSB ZF2NT SOAB HP

zf2nt at candw.ky zf2nt at candw.ky
Sun Oct 27 18:33:15 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZF2NT
Operator(s): ZF2NT
Station: ZF2NT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ZF

  160:  105    11       18
   80:  401    14       28
   40:  534    18       44
   20: 1464    29       90
   15: 1745    26       96
   10: 2244    25       96

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was really just a lark from here... It all started last week when I
was trying to fix my wire antennas, which were totally destroyed by Hurricane
Lili.  We took a direct hit from that one, so my antennas were in a mess just a
week ago.  One of the wires that was wiped out was a 40m sloper which had never
really worked out right for me.  So last Thursday afternoon I decided to redo
that one as a 75m sloper, and hopefully that way I wouldn't have to mess up my
80m wires every time I had a guest op come down to do a SSB contest.  That
evening I got on the air with my new 75m wire, and everybody kept raving about
how well I was getting out.  That can go to your head, so I decided to play
contest over the weekend rather than let the station sit idle.  (I had offered
the station to several people who like to do this sort of thing, but none could
make it.)

Amazingly to me, it wasn't that bad.  Not one person made a blatant attempt to
steal a frequency from me.  I heard no fighting whatsoever, and in fact saw
mostly considerate and courteous operating over the weekend.  I had quit doing
sideband altogether several years ago because I was so disgusted by what went on
there.  But I really didn't see that garbage this weekend.  It still rankles to
have to deal with EU pileups when people simply will not stand by while you try
to make a Q, but if you can learn to write that off to typical EU behavior then
this really wasn't so awful as I expected.  Perhaps our collective testosterone
level is decreasing as we all age?  Whatever...I'll actually admit to having had
some fun this weekend.  My ears are so out of tune from having been away from
fone for so long that there was no way I could earn any bragging rights...and
that meant I felt free to just play.  It was actually fun!

The real high point for me was managing to snag North Cooks on 160.  I didn't
even know there was an operation there until this contest started, but it was
obvious that whoever went there was serious about this stuff...not your usual
run-of-the-mill DXers.  Anybody in that part of the world who can hear me on 160
is just plain good!