[3830] CQWW SSB PA0JED SOSB/15 LP

pa0jed at amsat.org pa0jed at amsat.org
Sun Oct 27 22:44:23 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: PA0JED
Operator(s): PA0JED
Station: PA0JED

Class: SOSB/15 LP
QTH: jo31bv

   15:  332    24       88

Hallo Fellow Contesters,
Station used  IC-746, 2 ele yagi at 7,5 mtrs up on a telescopic alu mast.
And that was just the weekest point in this Murphy bussiness.
Saturday vy strong winds. Had to adjust my antenna every 15 mins or so, kept
turning in the wind. Could not tighten the clamps that tight, as the wind could
always move the antenna at about 15 or more degs.
Had to go out pick-up a ladder, losening the bottom clamp vy carefully, re-ajust
the antenna. tighten the clamp. And go inside agn, this al in vy heavy winds,
but these winds where nothing compared to the winds, we received sunday
morning.
Had to quit the contest at 10.00z. Later it appeared to be the strongest wind we
had in abt 12 years, winds up to 140 km/hr. Had to lower the antenna and secure
it vy heavy.
Further could not used the full time on 21 mc/s, my son (14 yrs) decided that he
had enought of Windows XP and said bye bye to B. Gates and tried to install
Linux on his computer, (daddy can u  help, pse?). 3/ hrs later back agn in
bussiness. (happily Linux is installing as a breeze nowadays). Hour later my
daughter (16yrs) broke the chain of her bike, just as se was eager to go to her
boy friend (daddy can u help, pse), Hour later back agn on 15. Chains still the
same over 100 yrs, with dirty hands and all that stuff.
Nothing heard from my wife (? yrs).
But besides all this local QRM, had a great time on my 3rd SSB contest in 25
yrs.(Do always CW tests).
Was amazed abt the strong signals coming out of the Pacific KH0AA etc, the 2 ele
beam is new for me. Had always used a vertical dipole (2 x 6 m) which did
survive the storm (made from 1/2 alu and the top 1/2 of titanium) , only the
open feeder got some damage.
This was my story, and always anxious to ready other stories, so keep sending
in.

Hope to cu all in november.

73 Jan
pa0jed