[3830] CQWW SSB K8AZ M/S HP

k8az at contesting.com k8az at contesting.com
Mon Oct 28 08:30:18 EST 2002

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K8AZ
Operator(s): K8AZ, K8BL, K8MR, N8TR, W8CAR, W8KIC, WB8K, WT8C
Station: K8AZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OH

  160:   27    11       25
   80:   96    21       74
   40:  214    29       99
   20:  485    37      149
   15:  604    35      140
   10: 1463    34      151

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Interesting contest.  Got off to a clunky start, with the stack switch on the
main 20m antennas failing Friday night.  We used the 20m mult antennas for much
of the contest, with reasonable success.  Got the switch replaced Saturday
afternoon, but that tower use prohibited use of main 15m antennas (on the same
tower with the main 20s) much of the afternoon, since I didn't want to be on the
tower next to an antenna pumping out 1.5KW when I changed out the 20m relay box.
 (We do get more safety conscious as we get older, don't we?)  The failure of
the 20m switch also caused the failure of a 20m transmit filter, and it took
until 4am Sunday to get that figured out, with the net result being that we lost
use of the main 20m antennas for 3/4 of the contest, and also lost the main 15m
antennas for about 4 hours.

The excuses aside, we had lots of fun and look forward to the CW weekend.

Congrats to N4PW (who showed up on 3830 with a very impressive score total) and
to the other m/s crews.

73,
Tom K8AZ