[3830] NA Sprint SSB KH6DV LP

kbqradio at cs.com kbqradio at cs.com
Mon Sep 16 14:57:07 EDT 2002

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: KH6DV
Operator(s): KH6DV
Station: KH6DV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: hi

   80:
   40:   27     0.5
   20:  124     3.0
---------------------

Team:

Comments:

This was my first sprint and Im shocked at the number of mults I was able to
come up with. Im almost as shocked at what I managed to miss. South Caroline,
Iowa, Del, and the all time shock New Mexico, a western state. Any 5 watts erp
from NM usually results in an S-9 signal here. I heard the VE4 many-many times,
always in the process of giving up the frequency and departing for hertz
unknown. A call from Guss/VO1 was a pleasent surprise. Im always amazed at the
great qrp signals. NB1B and K5IID were standout qrp signals. My new 10-15-20
monoband (homebrew)yagis are a major improvemnt over the previous tribander
although the 20M antenna is not properly tuned yet. My plan was to operate an
hour or so and give out a few contacts. Nobody told me how addictive sprint
was.
I never participated before because the time of day/band period for this contest
is all wrong from here. The golden rule here is "dont leave 10-15 meters before
0200Z."  20 meters is very poor before 0130-0200Z. At the other end, were still
in broad daylight when this contest ends and 40 is a near total loss.  I did
spend two short 15 minute periods on 40 but it wasnt very productive.

TNX FOR THE QSO's TO ALL
ALOHA
RON KH^DV