[3830] CQ/RJ WW RTTY ZC4DW(G0DEZ) SOAB LP

dez at cytanet.com.cy dez at cytanet.com.cy
Mon Sep 30 04:07:33 EDT 2002

                    CQ/RJ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: ZC4DW
Operator(s): G0DEZ
Station: ZC4DW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: KM65

   80:   38   111       0       23     6
   40:  150   435       7       47    12
   20:  241   795      30       57    20
   15:  433  1258      27       74    28
   10:  532  1573      29       62    23
Total: 1424  4172      93      263    89  Total Score = 1,856,540

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Most are saying good condx, some say better than 2001. I disagree.

Score is 400,000 down on last year. Worked slightly less Zones, less DX,
however managed to bag a few more State/Prov this time. Make of that what
you will!

Crucially, different antenna this year, definitely contributed to the
lower score. After only first 2 hours I could see the QSO rate was
not as high as 2001. I had a realtime spreadsheet running on MS Excel
with last years rate compared to this year on a graph. BAD IDEA. It made me
more demoralised as every hour passed I kept falling further behind.

Last year, I used a doublet, invereted-L, and monoband 10m ground-plane.
This year, just the inverted-L.

To be fair, it's a lot to ask of a single antenna - to perform well
80-10m, but it was a challenge trying and with 75 Watts.

Biggest difference I noticed was couldn't get any decent runs on 20m,
and that was where the missing Zones and DX are compared to last year.

It was frustrating to copy several big signals, especially from Texas and
Louisiana on 40m but they couldn't not copying me.

Always a pleasure to make those QSY's - P3F being the first of several
5 banders. Must say respect to ON4ADZ for the only ON 5 bander in my log,
and great score too OM.

Heard Zone 2 but couldn't crack the pile-up. Several other pile-ups were
huge and, it was satisfying when I craked any - although often I would
have to make several visits back until finally working some of them.

Didn't find any Zone 12, 23, 30, hardly no Africa, not much VK activity.
Can't believe I never heard my neighbouring Zone 21 on any band.

Thanks to all those who called, those who QSY'd, and those North Americans
who have excellent ears.

42 hours was a breeze, and still needed 2 hours after the contest to come
down with the adrenalin sky high.

73

Dez

FT-1000mp, 75 Watts
Inverted-L (consisting 33 feet vertical + 66 feet horizontal towards EU/NA).
Writelog
KAM TNC