[3830] OnQP VE3ODX/R Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 28 05:01:34 EDT 2003

                    Ontario QSO Party

Call: VE3ODX/R
Operator(s): VE3KZ VE3XAP VE3AGC
Station: VE3ODX/R

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: Rover

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   30     60     63
   40:  181    200    204
   20:   27     11     34
   15:    4      0      4
   10:    3      0      1
    6:    0     32     23
    2:    0     79     43
  222:    0      0      0
  432:    0     29     22
---------------------------
Total:  245    411    394  Total Score = 601,768

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

VE3KZ
The sunshine, my old lap-top, combined with 66 year old eyes just couldn't hack
it so I went to paper logging for the first time in about 10 years! Hats off to
the CW operators, 12 CW QSO's with NB1B, 7 with VE3TDG, 7 with VE3IAY, and 7
with VE3NBJ, and 11 more stations with 5 or 6 CW QSO's. Working in the cold and
dark at midnight in Wellington was an experience. With no computer keying, I had
one mighty stiff fist, one hand frozen and the other already sunburned from
tuning the IC706! The CW antenna was a W3DZZ trap dipole inverted vee for 40/80
with a tuner for 10/15/20. The support was designed around 3/4 of an old Telrex
20m element rising to almost 30 feet! Didn't drop it until taking it down at the
last site with the wind steadily increasing as we operated. No damage done. For
those who haven't done rovering, imagine 7 field day set-ups, operations and
dismantlings in 24 hours, with constant driving in between. Truly a memorable
experience.

73 Bob

VE3XAP
My thanks to Bob ve3agc, for the invitation to join the 'elite' for the 2nd year
in a row. Last year's VC3T operation was a mighty effort, from which we learnt
'how to Rover'. With a call like VE3ODX/R it was no wonder we managed to
increase our score to dizzing heights. Thanks to all who 'tagged' along as we
mapped our county run. Special thanks once again to Bob ve3sre for providing the
forum and the impetus for the OQP.
With nearly 23 years in ham radio, nothing can beat the contact on 2m FM on 50w
to a 9ft vertical in WEL county, with Art ve3sqg in PED. Guesstimated  distance
nearly 350Km. A 15-20 sec. opening. Kawartha Lakes, va3pii was also worked on 2m
from WEL and PEL and n2pwp 2m fm from NIA.
A broken ant. connection at YRK  prevented operation. My apologies to all who
were waiting. Loved the FM pileup on 146.550. That's not heard too often. Till
next year.

73 Sam

VE3AGC
Wonderful weather, with too much sun for the computer screens (no real
complaint). Murphy struck only with the SSB HF antenna breaking in the dark in
Wellington (no 160).. The new SSB mast worked perfectly at 36 and 30 feet.  We
passed the sobriety test at a check stop in Milton Saturday night with no
questions about all the radio gear (?) on and around three vehicles. I found the
10 point bonus station a strange obligation, needing to call continuosly and so
did little search and pounce. Most time spent on the low bands where people
seemed to be. I had more Canadians than Americans call me on 40M when running
split. Thanks to all those who found us.

73 Bob