[3830] KyQP N4GN Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Aug 1 15:06:36 EDT 2003

                    Kentucky QSO Party

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: Mixed HP
QTH: KY

   80:     20
   40:     64       94
   20:     77      224
   15:     17       16
   10:      1        7
------------------------
Total:    179      341  Mults = 104  Total Score = 72,904

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Here's my summary from the KQP.  I'll have to admit it was more fun than I
expected, and I put in more hours than I planned.  Still, I managed to get
about 1.5 acres mowed, 150 QSLs answered, 5 or 6 bills paid, 3 wasp nests
fumigated, and I mostly followed the BBC reporting on the military
rebellion in Manila (the building they took over is only 5-6 blocks from
Joana's condo!).

Worked several KCG guys and a few KY folks I'd never met before.  When
things got really slow, I tried TR's dueling CQ function for the first
time.  That was pretty amazing!  There were a couple times when I'm sure I
sounded like a lid, but not as often as I do with the normal two-radio
process.  I can see how dueling CQs would be a very powerful technique in
VHF contests--now if I just had a second VHF radio!

If I could just change one rule in this one, I'd get rid of the packet
rule.  It just seems to be contrary to the purpose of the contest for me
to run around and pick off packet spots all day and try to coax the DX
into telling me their name.  I probably could have done lots more of that
and made another 50 mults, but if everyone did that, there'd be no KY guys
calling CQ to work!

73 de N4GN
n4gn at n4gn.com