[3830] WAE CW K3CR(LZ4AX) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 12 00:38:45 EDT 2003

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K3CR
Operator(s): LZ4AX
Station: K3CR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PA

   80:   79    17    28
   40:  312   298    41
   20:  435   505    48
   15:  550   569    46
   10:   18     4    13
-------------------------
Total: 1394  1393   176  Total Score = 1,251,363

After 4-5 years of absence from my favorite contest, finally managed to do it.
Not much of a fun being on the transmitting side of the QTCs though :) Next year
will definitely consider a trip to LZ at this time.

The whole strategy was dictated by the neighbor’s decision to cut the grass
during the weekend which prevented us to put the EU beverage up. Well, guess if
they did it at all :)
I knew that 80 would be tough but really didn’t expect that. The static on the
phased dipoles was so loud that CQ-ing was out of question. Actually I tried it
several times but it was quite frustrating to have a bunch of people calling you
and not being able to copy more than one letter. The guys who made it into the
log were either really loud or very, very patient. The average repeat time
surely was well above 10. Anyway, to get the planned 25-30 multipliers on 80 I
had to spend too much time there but somehow did it. 40 and 20 weren’t so bad
here but 15 was really at its best. 10 was almost dead on Saturday (besides
CT1ILT) but produced some really good patchy openings on Sunday. Neither one of
those that I caught lasted more than 5-6 minutes though.

Got tired at the end and went rough on several guys repeatedly asking me for QTC
while I was trying to copy someone else’s call. Usually I’m not a rude person
but don’t expect me to be polite at the end of 48 hours contest when you are
making my life harder. The same goes for the guy who wanted to discuss the
clicks of my MP. I have no idea what he was expecting me to do with less than an
hour to go – get inside the radio with the soldering iron or just switch to QRP
category ? Anyway, the obvious solution was to fix his front end, so I told him.
Guess he got offended.

There were a lot of “first time to ...” things – cluster use, Windows based
software, etc. Overall I really had fun, did amazingly well – just 5K behind
N9RV, who is my litmus paper, and will even try the SSB tour although I haven’t
done that before.

Thanks to Jim, WA3FET for letting me use his great station again.

73 !
Alex LZ4AX