[3830] IOTA WZ3AR(@N3HBX) SO24SSB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 19 14:33:51 EDT 2003

                    IOTA Contest

Call: WZ3AR
Operator(s): WZ3AR
Station: N3HBX

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): ~18

   80:                     5        3
   40:                     1        0
   20:                   570       76
   15:                   323       55
   10:                     4        0
Total:   0        0      903      134  Total Score = 789,126

My Dad, N3FX, usually does this contest from our home QTH so I arranged to guest
op at N3HBX's. This was my first time ever in this contest and it was a blast!
Worked a ton of new IOTAs and even some new DXCCs - notably 3D2, VK9N, GJ, and
CY9. Prior to this contest I had never used a monoband yagi, stacked yagis, or a
Force 12 antenna and I have to say, they all ROCK!

For the most part, 10m was a total bust, 15m had some solid openings into EU and
the pacific, 20m was the money band, and 40m/80m were virtually useless. Some
big thrills on 80m were working EA6WX and CS4B for 2 multipliers. This must be a
really fun contest from EU - I bet 40m/80m SSB are a lot more enjoyable there
than from the states. I never heard any JA and worked very few Asian and African
stations.

I operated the first 18 hours of the contest no problem but by the eighteenth
hour I was getting a little tired and the bands had closed to EU so I was left
beaming west on 20m trying to suck QSOs out of the states and the Pacific. I
could have done the whole 24 hours but I was fatigued from the work week and it
was taking a lot of energy trying to market myself to U.S. stations trying to
get them to work me. All and all, I’m satisfied with my score and I’m looking
forward to next year.

Many thanks to John, N3HBX, for his hospitality and for the use of his fine
station.

73!
Nat, WZ3AR