[3830] CQWW CW N4KG SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 3 00:27:49 EST 2003

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ALA

  160:    5     3        4
   80:   22    10       13
   40:  186    20       64
   20:  253    27       90
   15:  277    25       85
   10:  250    26       78
------------------------------
Total:  993   111      334  Total Score = 1,223,305

High Bands (and 40) were HOT !
Lowest Bands (80 and 160) were NOT, at least not in ALA.

First hours to Europe were Fast (relatively speaking) and FUN
32 Q's on 40M
42 Q's on 20M
58 Q's on 15M
78 Q's on 10M
after which rates fluctuated between 20 and 40 Q's / hour.

Single Op One Radio is all S&P for most of us QRPers, which allows us to enjoy
leisurely tuning across the bands to see what is happening while amazingly
making some Q's along the way.  It feels like being a 150 lb LineBacker at the
start, slamming against a massive impenetrable line hoping to catch that elusive
window to break through.  It's like that again when 'fresh meat' shows up on
Sunday, or in EVERY Packet Pileup (which I avoid like the plague until sanity
returns).

Highlights:
o Working 111 stations on 3 or more bands including
  9 on 5 bands, 39 on 4 bands, and 63 on 3 bands.
o Noting that Mono-Banders and QRP compete well against LP and Tribanders
o Numerous surprises where weak DX stations come right back to my QRP call
o Busting HUGE pileups (Timing is EVERYTHING )
o Discovering that my ladderline fed 20M E/W dipole works Africa and Pacific
statons just as well as the fixed tribanders that were out of commission for
repairs and not reinstalled in time.
o Learning that I could send with one hand and log (simultaneously) with the
other after discovering that the computer keyer failed to function.
o Strong (but brief) openings on 10M to EU and JA.

Lowlights:
o Having a Double Root Canal 3 days prior to the contest
o Hitting the sack at 05Z the first night for 6 hours from discomfort
  and feeling lousy, missing a LOT of multipliers on 40M and possibly 80M.
o Having to take off the headphones and use a speaker most of the day
  due to jaw discomfort from the root canal
o Having to Hand Send the whole weekend due to a computer keying failure
  (and being too lazy to hook up an old memory keyer)
o Discovering (after the fact) that I NEVER or Rarely heard
  some of the BIG GUN DX Stations in JY, P4, SU, etc.
o Only working 4 EU mults on 80M

All in all, it was a BLAST, resulting in my all time second best QRP CW
contest.

Until next time,

Tom  N4KG / QRP in North Alabama