[3830] ARRL 160 N4PN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 14:53:20 EST 2003

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4PN
Operator(s): N4PN
Station: N4PN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FL

Total:  QSOs = 1214  Sections = 77  Countries = 34  Total Score = 277,611

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Well....this was my best effort ever in this contest. I went down on Friday
as could not get away on Thursday as had previously planned. I put up a new
beverage to the WNW which really paid off as it allowed me to work many
more west coast stations. My vertical on the beach still works very well and
survived the bad salt conditions another year.

The 1214 Q's are new personal best as is the 34 countries and 77 sections.
Missed KL7 and VE4...know they were on, but....

Saturday night was about as good as it can get for me down here in this part
of the world. I had Europeans standing in line and worked a bunch of them
one right after another...never before had this happened.

Some goodies that called were ZA1UT (which I had just worked earlier this
week from my home in Georgia with 700 watts and an inverted vee for a brand
new one - #255), T99W worked - was also a new one - #256!!.. Man was I on a
roll
or what! Thanks for all of the DL's, G's, S5's, HB9, F's, etc who gave me such
a thrill...running Europe from Florida!! Other good surprises that called in
were XQ6ET and ZP6CW from the South. Had a heck of a time pulling out HK3BVD
as my mind was in neutral and didn't switch over to the right beverage.

T32WW along with a bunch of KH6's were very strong both nights...actually
seemed like they were there all weekend. Still not one JA...seems strange.

I agree, for whatever it's worth, with the DX stations. I would not spend my
time and/or money to go "DXin'" for this contest with the rules the way they
are...everyone's submitted together but the rules are not the same for
everyone...It's gotta be changed so that there is reward for working DX and
DX can work others besides the US...

This was my second big 160 weekend in a row. Last weekend was at 9A1A M/M
and operated mostly 160...having the likes of BX3/DJ3KR and DS0DX call in
made me jump out of my shorts...JT1CO wasn't all that bad either..

Thanks to everyone who called in as I did a lot of running and less S/P'ing
this go round...Used an old FT-980 for spotting new ones with only an inverted
vee and one beverage, but I'm just getting too old for some many radios..hi.

73, Paul, N4PN