[3830] ARRL 10 WQ5L SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 14 22:36:32 EST 2003

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WQ5L
Operator(s): WQ5L
Station: WQ5L

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Gulfport, MS

   CW:  602    90
  SSB:  323    78
-------------------
Total:  925   168  Total Score = 512,400

150 watts + vertical    (== lots of repeats, hi)

Band was completely dead at the start. No signals at all. Left the
radio on and went to another room to watch TV. Almost three hours
later, loud W5KFT happened to fire up on the freq on which the radio
was tuned, bringing me running. Wasn't much of an opening and only to
TX/NM/CO/SD, but hey it was something.

Saturday night was a much different story as many others have noted.
Just about every part of the continental US was workable at some time
or another Saturday night, even the Pacific NW. For the first time in
20 years of this contest, I pooped out before the band did. Several
W1/2/3's were still booming in well after 1am local. Picked up the
rare DC mult after midnight.

DX: The F layer seemed in much better shape Sunday than Saturday. The
Sunday morning Europe opening was longer lasting, reached farther east,
and signals were stronger than on Saturday. Though, even on Sunday only
a few EU stations really moved the S-meter. On Sunday I worked several
South American and Pacific stations who could not hear me on Saturday.
Got in on the polar opening to UA1/SM/OH both afternoons, but that path
was notably stronger on Saturday. No JAs at all.

Happy Holidays... Ray WQ5L