[3830] 9A CW SM3W(SM3WMV) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 21 07:40:46 EST 2003

                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: SM3W
Operator(s): SM3WMV
Station: SM3WMV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Back

  160:    5     5
Total:  841   151  Total Score = 291,833

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

I missed the first 40 minutes in the contest because I was climbing my tower
fixing a mess that a moose caused. It had taired down my 40m vertical, my 20m
dipole and had made a mess of the 40m radials. I did an experiment with a 160m
sloper grounded against the tower but the 80m inverted vee was better. It was a
bit cold to climb the tower in the middle of the winter, but it was a perfect
winter day. The sun was shining, only about -7 degrees celcius and no wind at
all. Gonna publish the pictures on my webpage as soon Im back at university
again.

One thing that makes this contest boring is the stupid 10minute rule for single
operators. There are not many mults in this contest, so chasing for mults with
the 2nd radio is very slow. It would be much more fun if you could make contacts
with the 2nd radio. I dont know how many times I was thinking about doing that
and sending the log as checklog instead.

I guess that I missed about 60 qsos because of the 40 minutes lost in the
beginning considering the rate I had when I started. The bands closed very
early, 20m was gone very fast and in the beginning of 15m only the strong ones
were hearable. Aurora struck during the night and after two hours at a
10-15q/hour rate I went to bed for a couple of hours. I had lots of comments
about being very loud from friends in 9A but I didnt hear much NA, JA or
southern Europe. The more northern part of EU, OZ, 9A, ES, DL, PA etc were loud
but the rest were weak. When I went to bed around 02:30 I saw the visible
aurora...was beutiful to look at but since I am used seeing it I dont find it
anything else than trouble.

My qso total is ok but points and mults sucks...anyway, I had atleast a bit of
fun :-) I just wish that aurora didnt exist.