[3830] TBDC F6IRF Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 29 02:22:56 EST 2003

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: F6IRF
Operator(s): F6IRF
Station: F6IRF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: JN35

Total:  QSOs = 166  Total Score = 936

Rig IC735 barefoot - Timewave DSP
TX: Temporary Inverted 3/8 L (18m vertical + sloping part peaking @30m in an
hundred-year old chessnut-tree)
RX: Magnetic loop // Pennant + HB preamp
Noise Generator: 380kV high-power line 200m away from TX antenna

My first 160m contest attempt and probably the last one from my home QTH !
Despite receiving antennas each QSO turned out as a fight against line noise...
The receiving antennas did help (the L provided a stable 9+20dB S-meter reading)
, but in only one direction,  the only one where I could have some attenuation
on the line white noise - Despite my EME-training, the DSP, Spectran and all
efforts to find the best antenna combination, it quickly became obvious that I
was deaf like a stone !
No JA, JT, FM, VK and only 5 NA stations in the log. Feel sorry if you called
me... Gave-up at 3:50 UTC with lot of frustration hearing others working W's
that I could not even see on the Spectran monitoring!
Never again... (Unfortunately, for me 160m will remain a quick "mult-booster"
in 6 bands contests)

I take this opportunity to wish everybody a very happy new-year... see you in
many contests in 2004!
Patrick