[3830] TBDC K6SE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 29 21:49:45 EST 2003

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K6SE
Operator(s): K6SE
Station: K6SE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: DM15

Total:  QSOs = 359  Total Score = 3,926

Operated from the salt lake bed again and unlike last year when I lost the
balloon in high winds, the wind was calm.  I used an IC-756Pro2 in the contest
this year.  Noticed many chirps and birdies due to the receiver's IMDDR3 not
being as good as some other radios.  Using 6 dB of attenuation resulted in an
occasional chirp/birdie and with 12 dB of attenuation no more chirps/birdies
were heard during the contest.  The receiver still had plenty of gain to hear
even the weakest of signals using the receiver's 50 Hz filter.  The QTH is so
far from any other ham that BDR was never a problem.  The QTH is worth at least
10 dB with the soil conductivity much better than sea water, so I took advantage
of the X2 multiplier and ran the Pro2 barefoot.  I'll bring the Alpha 76CA out
there for the CQ WW 160 CW contest next month, when I hope to run multiop from
that fantasic QTH.

Condx were much better than the ARRL 160 earlier this month.  Farthest DX was
VK6VZ/6 (Steve had a really good signal).  About 15 JAs were worked - some of
them were quite strong, but it was obvious that not many JAs were active in the
contest.  The guys from the Caribbean area (KV4, PJ2, FM5, ZF2) were quite
strong.

One big surprise was having KH7X call me well before his sunset when he was
quite weak.  When I heard him later on, his signal was BIG!

My big disappointment was to find out via e-mail from EI6BT when I arrived back
home that he heard/called me at around 0800Z.  It turns out that after my last
CQ at 0800Z I powered down for 1/2 hour to refuel the generator!  (Sorry, Jerry.
 I hope we can make it in the CQ WW 160 next month.)

Other than fighting the sandman, the contest was great fun.  The rules are just
fine as they are and I hope the guys in Boring, OR keep them that way.  My hat
is off to them for inventing a great contest

73, de Earl, K6SE