[3830] NAQP SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 11 20:03:24 EST 2003

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

  160:    2     2
Total:  418   141  Total Score = 58,797

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #1

Comments:

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100
Kenwood TS-430S with AT-250
Heil BM-10
K1KP-style voice keyer

Antennas:
A3S at 15m (10-20m)
1/4 wave 40m sloper at 12m (40m)
125 foot doublet at 11m (80m,160m)
Cushcraft R7000 at 2.5m (TS-430S)

Comments:

This was supposed to be a full-time effort. I was attempting to beat my previous
top score with nearly 700 Qs, so I had a target rate of 80/hr. It was pretty
obvious in the first couple of hours that the higher bands were no where near as
good as last year.

20m plays pretty well here in GA, but the best rate was only 65/hr. When I
finally hit 40m at 0100z, the band was so chock full of SWBC stations there was
no where to run, only S & P. The 40m sloper wasn't cutting it. Most contacts
took several calls.

After 0300z, was falling asleep at the rig, so I pulled the plug.

I made one (1) SO2R contact. I had jury-rigged the setup just before the
contest, with a slide switch that could choose between just the K2, or the K2 in
one ear, and the 430 in the other. Switched audio by turning the K2 VOX off,
then using a hand mic on the 430. Obviously, I need a more formal configuration,
and a LOT more practice. Both 160m contacts made on the 430.

I'm really loving my K2. It's a great rig. After this contest, I had it pulled
apart for the revision A to B upgrade, plus adding the KAT100 antenna tuner.