[3830] ARRLDX CW K2UOP SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 16:50:42 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2UOP
Operator(s): K2UOP
Station: K2UOP

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: WV

Total:  543    81  Total Score = 131,949

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment: FT-1000MP, AL-800H amp, 2 phased verticals, single vertical
I was planning to work all bands, but with the temps in the single digits and
teens, and the predicted snow, I decided that I didn't want to mess with
cranking up a tower, and risk cracking my brittle coax or rotator line, so I
opted to go single band 40M.  Single band was a new experience for me, but at my
age it was nice to be able to rest a little during the day and watch the snow
pile up.  I have a drift in front of my cars that is over my waste, and they say
it will snow for another day.  On the second day there was high snow static that
made me glad that I had some Beverages to use to receive with because the
verticals were useless on receive.  I do plan to have a 40M beam up for next
year and may even try SB 40M again just to make comparisons. All in all a very
enjoyable contest.  I apologize to the DX stations that I just could not dig out
of the snow noise.  I tried my best, as I did work a lot of QRP stations.
Cheers, Tom in WV