[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 21:22:35 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    0     0
   80:    2     2
Total:  388   162  Total Score = 188,568

Rig:

Xcvr: Yeasu FT-817  (5 watts)

Antennas:

Mosley TA33M up 32 feet with 40 meter add-on.

DXLB Trap dipole for 40-80-160, Up 30 feet in center, 15 feet at each end.

Well, the cycle is on its way back down.

>From here on the West Coast, my score depends on my ability to get into Europe
for all the Multipliers and Qs.  Last year, Europe accounted for 49% of my Qs.
This year, the opening to Europe was much shorter, and consequently Europe
accounted for only 13% of my Qs.  As a result, I wound up with half the QSOs as
last year, and one third the score!

I still had some thrills.  I got VK6LW long path on Sat afternoon on 20 cw, and
there was a pretty fair pile to the East of me trying at the same time.  I had
69 different countries, a long way toward a weekend QRP DXCC.

Spots or not, it's still a lot of fun!  73 Bill  W8QZA (W6QU)