[3830] ARRLDX CW K1DG SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 15:07:22 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1DG
Operator(s): K1DG
Station: K1DG

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH

Total: 3021   412  Total Score = 3,733,956

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Knew this was going to be a "fun run" instead of a serious effort. Too many
hours at work to finish a huge project during the week before the contest and
not enough sleep. Arrived home from work at 0015Z. At 0500Z I was already
beginning to experience the lack-of-sleep effects...only 5 hours in to the
contest!

Slept 6 hours the first night, and a full 8 hours Saturday (OK...spent 2 of that
having dinner with my family and watching a movie together). When I got back on
Sunday morning, I set a goal of 3000 Qs and 400 mults. Figured that would be a
decent showing for part-time, given the 4000 Qs and 450 mults of the past 2
years. Just hoping to hang on to the bottom of the Top Ten box.

Killed me that my 15M beam has developed a problem - 5:1 SWR, dropping to about
3:1 after about 30 minutes of industrial-strength CQing. Signals sounded
"wrong", and I really had to work to break the pileups on that band. Much too
cold and snowy to even think about fixing it soon.

Some amazing scores...glad I wasn't serious - I'd have been embarrassed big
time. NT1N has figured out the NH secret (and I don't mean the snow!). And a
special tip of the paddle to K1TO for a terrific score from a place very far
away from the W1 advantage.

73, thanks for all the Qs (especially the guys who agreed to move bands with
me), and see you in the next one!

Doug K1DG