[3830] ARRLDX CW W1WEF SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 15:38:44 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ct

Total: 1233   312  Total Score = 1,154,088

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Intermittent problems began 50 minutes into the contest. When I moved from 40 to
20, the log data on the first 100 40M Qs changed to 20M. I then corrected the
band data line by line, but was afraid to change bands again! Other flaky
problems kept coming...I suspected the new computer I had recently installed but
never used in a contest. Discouraged, I decided to sleep and maybe do a single
band ten effort starting in the morning. When my bandmap wouldn't work right, I
decided it wasn't possible to do a serious effort, so I replaced a shower valve
that froze while we were on an RV trip in January and the furnace failed. This
required cutting a hole in the shack wall to access the valve.
Sunday, I went to an Rv show, and planned to catch the last couple hours. In the
last hour I discovered that switching my A/B switch back and forth, I could
affect a PTT control problem I was having intermittently. Eliminating the switch
corrected all of the problems...with half an hour left in the contest!
73   JACK W1WEF