[3830] ARRLDX CW K8LX M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 23:31:56 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8LX
Operator(s): K8LV K8LX N8EA W8WA
Station: K8LX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MI

   15:  929   102
   10:  857   103
-------------------
Total: 3540   485  Total Score = 5,063,400

Late afternoon and all evening Saturday it was like someone turned
the bands off here - we didn't appreciate that, whoever it was. Even
without that we thought conditions were way down from last year.

The low bands were very noisy - crashes were bothersome even on
20. Once again, on a weekend when 40 is great, 80 is mediocre.
I wonder what it would take to run on 80 from MI....... 3L at 160'
is NOT enough.

Lot's of little snarks we had to deal with this weekend - mostly
RFI and rotator related.

On 20, we had to leave the top beam fixed cuz with the rotator
control lines hooked up, RF was getting into things. Left it parked
on 20º mostly, but hooked it back up and moved it, then disconnected
again, a couple of times. K8LV and W8WA were hacking line filters
together right til the start of the contest, but this problem will
require some filtering on the tower I'm afraid.

The middle TIC Ring was slipping anytime we were West of North,
so we limited that antenna to Europe and Africa.

10 was an adventure also, with no brake on the middle antenna, and
the bottom antenna would rotate CW fine but not CCW. It was like a
10 minute operation to move it from E to NE.

OTOH, the line noise left us alone (though it was back on Monday
morning), and the snowstorm missed us, and we were mostly not
falling asleep in the chair! We always have a good time in this
one, no matter what - even with all the QRPers and everthing.

Steve K8LX