[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3IAY SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 18 17:54:58 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE3IAY
Operator(s): VE3IAY
Station: VE3IAY

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Ottawa

Total:  419   131  Total Score = 164,667

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I started out planning to do SB/10 like last year. Propagation was not
cooperative, mostly confined to N/S plus western Europe. There was no opening
for me to Scandinavia or the Baltic (except for RW2F and one solitary LY), and
none at all to JA. 5B4AGC was my only Asian contact, and KH7X and VK4TT the only
ones from the Pacific. On the other hand, my African, Central and South American
multipliers were up quite a bit from last year. Still, by the end of the first
day my QSO total was much lower, despite the fact that I had worked pretty well
everyone I could hear.

On day 2, I decided to try SB/15 instead. That was slightly better than 10, but
still not very exciting from here. Indeed, despite the advantage of being able
to work many stations twice, my overall QSO count was lower than last year's
single band total.

So either conditions were down a lot from last year, or I need to inspect my
coax. I'll submit an SOAB entry to maximize points for the club.

TS-850
Vertical antenna