[3830] ARRLDX CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 19 09:01:51 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ/9
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: INDIANA

Total: 1401   343  Total Score = 1,441,629

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

There has been a lot of talk lately on the contest
reflector about having a 24 hour contest category.
I believe my log should be allowed into this competition
because my score is exactly one half as large as last
year's with the identical station and location.

In fact, from this Midwestern low power operator's perspective,
conditions were down considerably, and not just from last
year's superb conditions.  My QSO totals the last four
years were 1735, 1963, 2527, and only 1401 this year.
Each year I spent about the same amount of time "in
the chair."  Last year I had 100 hours in the middle of
each night on 20 meters, this year a 12 hour in the same
opening. I only used one radio this year (as in 2000 and
2001) which saved some wear-and-tear on the still-painful
right wrist which developed during November's CQWW test.

The trick of listening on the lower antenna didn't work
with this year's weather - the QRN was just as bad on
the lower antennas as the upper ones.  I hoped that
since I worked only half as many people the first day,
the second day would be better.  The noise level was
better, but I still found a relative dearth of activity
compared with previous years.  Contact and multiplier
totals were down on all six band.

At least my station and I survived the threatening
weather (my QTH is midway between W9RE's and N9RV's)
and will be around for the SSB contest in two weeks.