[3830] CQ160 SSB K8CC Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 25 19:48:32 EST 2003

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K8CC
Operator(s): K8CC, W8MJ
Station: K8CC

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MI

Total:  QSOs = 646  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 23  Total Score = 127,251

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Only a semi-serious, part-time effort here.  With ARRL DX CW last weekend and
SSB next weekend, it's hard to strap in for this one.

Ken, W8MJ wanted to try his FT-1000MP Field with the big antennas, but he had
conflicts on Saturday so he asked to come operate the first half.  I was going
to operate the second half to some degree.

I was out for the first 3-1/2 hours, but when I got back Ken had 300 QSOs in the
log.  Not too bad, but the QRN was ferocious.  The wx man was predicting a big
winter snow storm for some time on Saturday, and we could sure hear it coming.
We were using a four-square array of shortened verticals to receive - beverages
would probably have been quieter.

All 23 countries were worked by Ken the first night, a pretty good total for us
on 160 SSB.  Of the 50 states, the only one we missed was NL7Z whom we heard
K9NR work.

The second night the storm was in full force and the noise was even worse - S9
on the verticals in all directions and +20 dB on the transmit vertical.  We
apologize to anyone who called that we could not hear.

73,

Dave/K8CC
Ken/W8MJ