[3830] RTTY Roundup N7ON Single Op LP

N7ON@arrl.net N7ON@arrl.net
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:38:24 -0800

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N7ON
Operator(s): N7ON
Station: N7ON

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Nevada
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  220  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 10  Total Score = 12,980

Radio:     TS-930S
Antennas:  stealth wires
Software:  miLog running an MMTTY module (flawless operation; any mistakes with

           wrong macros/wrong calls were operator errors)
Computer:  Toshiba laptop

Too many non-radio commitments to make a serious effort.  Never tried for a high
QSO or multiplier count, just tried to pass out Nevada to as many stations as
possible during limited operating times.  Chose frequencies and times
carefully.

Did the best I could do with a small station and limited time in front of the
radio.  Judging from 1) the number of unique stations worked, 2) the number of
"little pistols" worked, and 3) the number, regardless of size/activity, of
Nevada stations on, at least Nevada wasn't as hard to find as, say, Delaware.

If I had heard K5RC/W7TTT, K7GQ, N7TR, or other Nevada Big Guns, I wouldn't have
cancelled my plans for a day trip to Truckee and Lake Tahoe!  K7BV was heard and
worked, but alas, Dennis isn't in Nevada any more.

No hurricane-force winds this weekend, just beautiful unseasonable weather
tempting me to leave the shack.

Few QSO's before 0300z.  I had a choice:  operate, or socialize with an aunt
visiting Reno from Michigan.  I chose Aunt Twila.

The most difficult areas in North America to work were Eastern Canada and the
U.S. Northeast.  Even if a high-powered Nevada station had been active, many in
those areas would still have missed Nevada.

80m was very productive and useful to all call areas.  40m was poor for me, so I
didn't waste time there.  I could have used 40m more for working 6's and 7's who
needed Nevada, but that would have taken away from time on 15/10m for working
more difficult areas.  I often chose 10/15m over 20m because if I can work you
on 20m, I can usually work you on 10/15m with a much greater chance of being
found.

80m:  I always go there early.  Spent quite a bit of time running there.  If I
wait too late, I risk missing many 6's and 7's.  I would have worked more 6's
and 7's had I not shut down at 0745z, but I wanted to get up early Sunday
morning in case Europe was coming through.  Unfortunately, I never worked
Europe.

Hints for working Nevada:  remember, 7-land is large, and so is Nevada.
Propagation to Northern and Southern Nevada can be very different.  A good clue
for a band opening to Northern Nevada is if you're hearing Northern California.
For Las Vegas-area stations, listen for Southern California.

Thanks, KD5MSS, for Nevada!  Nothing like working your own state.....

Note to those in non-Western states:  yes, those of us out here capitalize
"Northern" and "Southern" California and Nevada.  And "Nevada" is properly
pronounced "Neh-VA-duh," (short "A"), not "Neh-VAH-duh."  That causes trouble in
phone contests, and endless irritation to Ne_VA_dans (move here like I did and
pronouce it incorrectly--you'll hear about it!).

CQ and S & P:  I divided my time between the two, but by far prefer to CQ.  The
number of small stations answering my CQ's lets me know if my sig is being heard
decently.  Tried to select frequencies above or below the masses, but still had
many periods with no replies.  Would change my CQ frequency if nothing developed
just in case a 6/7-lander and I were sharing a frequency and didn't know it.

For S & P, I recognize the calls of most of the "RTTY regulars" and try my best
to find and work you.  And if you're someone like VE1OP, VE1AOE, VE9DX (were you
at VE9TTY?) and others who provide rare sections in SS, I'll _absolutely_ do my
best to find and work you.  Was very impressed by the number of consistent
high-scorers who found me CQing.

I'm going to post some log statistics on the RTTY reflector, but here are some
stats based upon the posted January 7 RTTY Roundup results:

     M/S HP worked: 2 of 5
     M/S LP worked: 2 of 3
     S/O HP worked: 19 of 27
     S/O HP top 10 worked: 9 of 10
     S/O HP top 20 worked:  16 of 20
     S/O LP worked: 15 of 44
     S/O LP top 10 worked:  7 of 10
     S/O LP top 20 worked:  8 of 20

Random notes:

--Why, oh why not work what you think is a dupe?  Your data might be wrong, and
you could end up missing a section.  Sure, we all make mistakes, but there are
times when we _know_ we haven't worked a guy.  Typos and other errors do happen.
 I called a RTTY regular, was told, "N7ON WRK B4 QRZ de XXXX."  Sent back "XXXX
DE N7ON NOT IN LOG DE N7ON" on a quiet frequency several times.  Nothing.  Well,
I tried!  And nothing remotely similar to the call is in the log.

--databases:  don't like 'em, violate the spirit of the rules, IMHO.

--SO2R:  great innovation, but feel it should be a separate category.

--RTTY operators:  FB!  Not _one_ frequency fight.  Well, one if you count my
prematurely-sent "ZZZZ DE N7ON FREQ QRL QRZ DE N7ON."  Afterward I realized the
poor guy had accidentally hit the wrong macro.

--My most frequent error:  failing to replace an old call in the "Call"
window.

--Called a friend across town on Sunday who's an FB-but-infrequent RTTY
contester to ask him to get on and help pass out Nevada.  He would have had a
much better signal than mine, but I only reached his machine.  And if he had
gotten on, I wouldn't have worked him.

--Rare sections:  before packing up and heading there for the next contest,
check your old logs to see who's been active in the past.  Send them an e-mail
and remind them of the upcoming contest.  I'll try to do my part to remind the
Reno-area gang of upcoming RTTY contests.

--software:  keep reading about Writelog and others, but I'm sticking with
miLog.  On a post-contest note, if you're inundated with QSL requests, check out
the BV7 QSL label program (df3cb.com/bv).  Imports ADIF and other formats, great
for printing multi-QSO labels.  Just discovered it, and I'm using it to answer
an inexcusably large backlog of DX bureau requests.

In closing, it's always a pleasure to work those new to RTTY as well as the RTTY
regulars.  Only wish I could have worked _all_ of you.

73,

John, N7ON