[3830] NAQP CW N0AX Single Op LP

n0ax@arrl.net n0ax@arrl.net
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:59:04 -0800

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N0AX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA

Total:  918   253  Total Score = 232,001

Club:

Team: Boring ARC

Comments:

Congratulations for N9RV and his big score from the Black Hole of a certain
9-land state beginning with "I"!  Super job, Pat.

Conditions were pretty good from out and up here in the corner pocket - the New
England and Maritime boys sounded like Fives.  Hardly any flutter, but the
absorption on 80 and 160 hung around until after 0300Z.  What we lost there, we
made up on good coast-to-coast coverage on the high bands, so I can't complain.
Things were so hot that it was hard to take off-time - gotta work on my strategy
there, but I suspect that ol' Sol will make it a little easier to pick hours
starting next year :-)

I really like this contest, particularly the prevalence of QSYing.  Maybe we
should have a contest where after you make a QSO, you have to QSY around the
bands until you can't make the QSO.  You could pick "up" or "down" and would
have to try a frequency with the same last three digits as the one on which
the QSO was first made.  A five-level Sprint QSY rule, in effect.

Oh, the equipment - FT1000MP and FT847 (really a good CW rig with the IRC
filter), 5-band Gem Quad at 55', C-3 at 55', 40-2CD at 50', 80-m half-sloper
right under the 40-2CD, TR-LOG software, operator: 170#, 47 yrs, Radio Shack
hearing aid batteries, same old slippers as last year.

73, Ward N0AX