[3830] NAQP CW N5OT Single Op LP

n5ot@arrl.net n5ot@arrl.net
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:47:05 -0800

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N5OT
Operator(s): N5OT
Station: N5OT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OK

Total:  911   235  Total Score = 214,085

Club:

Team: Azenmokers 2

Comments:

Continued smoke-testing.  First real SO2R ever.  Have dabbled but never
seriously.  I can't believe I'm still alive.  So THAT's why you guys do that.
What a total blast.  I especially liked the couple times I worked the same SO2R
guy back to back within a minute or two.

My SO2R consisted of a proper lockout, and headphones on radio 1 and a speaker
on radio 2.  I think it was good for 50 QSOs.  Time to get me one of them fancy
SO2R boxes.  Sure kept it interesting.

Started 30 minutes late because I was still on the tower at 1800Z.  Got half the
20M array up which still worked real nice.

I had no antennas for 15M up except for a tribander which was hardwired as a 20M
antenna.  I used the 40s which are too high for 15M.  I got no respect on that
band.

During a break I lowered two 10M yagis which had been higher for the ARRL 10M.
They were too high for this.  I kept barely hearing guys inside those nulls you
see on your AO screen when you look at vertical take-off angles.  Still had 7
minutes left to relax.  11.5 minutes per antenna - a personal best.

160/80/40 are all final and all played.

I agree with everyone who says it was real hard to figure out when to take the
breaks.  Seemed like the rate just got higher and higher as the contest got
older and older.  I just attributed that to my own learning curve.

First personal best in this contest in a lot of years.  There IS hope after all.
 Maybe I can finally break 300 QSOs in the sprint next month.  Thanks to
everyone who moved.  SO2R sure makes THAT easier!