[3830] NAQP CW N4GN Single Op LP

n4gn@n4gn.com n4gn@n4gn.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:39:15 -0800

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N4GN
Operator(s): N4GN
Station: N4GN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KY

Total:  990   255  Total Score = 252,450

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Team: KCG

Comments:

NAQP is just a TERRIFIC contest!  Where else can a guy in the middle of the
country with a medium-sized station and low power average 100 Qs/hr for an
entire contest?  The activity was the best ever this time--never a slow
period.

My biggest limitation for this contest is my pitiful antenna for the second
radio--a ground-mounted all-band vertical that is past it's prime.  For some
reason, the SWR was about 5:1 on 15 this time, so I was only getting 5-10 W out
of the radio.  Still, a good number of guys could still copy me on the first
call!  Even though the SWR was better on 10, a small vertical is NOT the antenna
of choice for working mults on backscatter with low power.  The effects on my
10-meter numbers are obvious.

As many have commented, this contest has become MUCH more competitive now.  And
the increased activity is just terrific!  Hats off to the TCG boys for getting
so many folks on the bands.

I have to agree with K1AM about a couple guys using high power.  From the sound
of one particular 5-land station, I'm hoping the operator was just goofing
around with the amp on and is planning to send in a checklog.  He was 15 dB
louder than even the guys with the BIG antennas near him.

Thanks for all the QSOs and QSYs!

One more thing--N9RV is not of this Earth!  I'd love to see a brain wave scan of
Pat's head during a contest.

73,

Tim, N4GN
n4gn@n4gn.com