[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

nx5m@arrl.net nx5m@arrl.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 07:46:29 -0800

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): N5XJ, KB5ZFO, NX5M
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 11:40

Total: 2245   278  Total Score = 624,110

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

10m let us down a bit.  No opening to many of the states in the midwest as well
as a major lack of W4's.  At least 12 more mults could have been worked on that
band but I guess it was not to be.  We finally worked Ohio just as we were about
to give up on 10 and move to 20....the ONLY one ever heard on 10.  After that
qso we decided to stay for a few more minutes as it appeared that a new opening
might be on the horizon.  But it did not happen.

Everything else went pretty well.  The only major problem was on 40m.  My
northwest 40m beam was not working.  In the dark and in the cold I finally
figured out the problem.  Good thing too....there was a severe lack of W7
stations/mults, but that changed once that antenna was fixed.  On 20 the
feedline must be damaged somewhere so we had to shut down on that band and make
a feedline change.  It only took a few minutes so it was not much of a
setback.

160 and 80 seemed to be slow.  I had expected larger numbers on those two
bands.
I had tried to set up shared beverages for 80/160 but that did not work out well
so we ended up using the transmit antennas for RX.  I need to connect the 80m
beverages.  They are up but I have never gotten around to actually connecting
them.

The rest of the bands seemed to be pretty good.

We were asked to qsy for another "net" that was about to start on 14260 (we had
been on 14261 for about an hour).  Did we; no! This "net about to start stuff"
is really getting old.

All in all it was another fun operation.  The other two ops here did most of the
operating so most of my credit goes to them.  The weather was nice so we did not
have to deal with any extra noise.

We all apprectiate you who jumped around the bands to work us.

Thanks!

Mike, N5XJ     Lance, KB5ZFO      Bob, NX5M