[3830] CQ160 CW W8JI(W4AN) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 13:30:54 EST 2003

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W8JI
Operator(s): W4AN
Station: W8JI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA

Total:  QSOs = 1422  State/Prov = 0  Countries = 124  Total Score = 649,884

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Tom and Marsha and the dogs for having me.  Great hospitality.
Still the most amazing experience for me in contesting is operating from W8JI on
160M.

Best conditions I've experienced since operating there the past 4 years, with
the possible exception being the 55 JAs worked in ARRL 160 2 years ago.  Still
can't figure out why we never get a real [tm] opening to Japan for this contest.
 JA5DQH was at his sunset directly from the west.  JA7NI was the only direct JA
QSO.  Seems like last year I made my few JA QSOs beaming SW.

Missed VO2, VE4, and VE8.

Worked: A92ZE, XQ6ET, JA7NI, JA5DQH, VK6VZ and others.  No LP QSOs.

Clicks seemed better this year, but certainly still a big problem.  I felt at a
competitive disadvantage many times when someone with a clicking radio would
show up near by.  Noted for clicking were: W5TM (horrible), KT3Y (Phil says it
is a TS-950, so not sure whats up with that one), W4SO, WB9Z (consumed the
better part of 3KC in the JA window this morning.... many thanks), AA4V, N8II,
W5VX, KC1XX, and K4EWG had some kind of big problem as I was hearing him call
EA8ZS 20KC away.  There were others of course, but these were the ones than I
ended up next to at one point or another and had made notes of during the
contest.  For those of you with Icom 781s who assume your radio doesn't click,
check with K9DX for a fix to your not-broken radio.  Thanks for taking the time
John!!!

No, I'm not operating Sunday night.  I rate Super Bowl commercials ahead of
10q/hr 160M contest finish.  Thats it for me this season.  Back to diapers and
work (when time allows).

73

Bill Fisher