[3830] CQ160 CW VE3FU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 14:37:54 EST 2003

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 211  State/Prov = 39  Countries = 1  Total Score = 40,000

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

TX: 64ft shunt fed tower
RX: 4 Beverages, NE, SE, SW, NW
Rig: TS-950SD, TS-430S (RX only)

I had every intention of putting a full effort into this one, but my rig had
other plans.  I started noticing problems with the RX just after the CQWW CW
contest.  The RX would randomly go quiet and the S-meter would go full scale -
as if someone cranked the RF gain all the way back.  This happened a few times
during the CQ160 contest, but I had a plan - I'd tune to my TX freq with my
TS-430 (RX only - won't TX) and listen on my 40m 4-sqr, which is the farthest
antenna from my 160m transmit antenna.  About 2.5 hours into the contest, the
TS-950SD suddenly cut back to 50W.  The fan kicked in and I figured it would be
back to 100W in no time.  I operated like that for a half hour before deciding
to shut down the rig and doing more damage.  It was another 2 full hours before
the 950 would transmit more than 50W.  At that point I had about 138 QSOs and 29
States/Provinces.  I got back on the air around 0300Z.  Again, 2.5 hours later
the 950 cut back to 50W so I decided to pack it in.

I have to either get a better TX antenna or get an amp.  I have no trouble
hearing DX - they just have trouble hearing me.  Although I didn't spend much
time tuning around, in what time I did I heard KV4, FY, TI, YV, XE, CT3, S5, and
I5.  The only DX worked was ZF2NT.

Now to ship my rig off to the repair shop and hopefully get it back before CW
Sprint....

Chris VE3FU / VO2AC