[3830] CQ160 CW NS3T Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 26 19:52:34 EST 2003

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: NS3T
Operator(s): NS3T
Station: NS3T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM19

Total:  QSOs = 274  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 5  Total Score = 31,671

Conditions were certainly much better than the ARRL 160 and Stew Perry - this
time I actually "heard" DX stations rather than just the pileups...

The big highlight was stumbling upon D4B, CQ'ing with no takers - my silly
little vertical in my suburban back yard somehow got him a signal for my first
ever 160 QSO from outside of the US, Canada and Carribean.  (Funny how I could
work him, but stations in PA and MD have trouble copying me!)  I couldn't raise
the few EU's that I heard (I, G, 9A.) Also couldn't get the attention of
TI and YV.

Instead of buying a new radio, I've been working to improve my antennas
in my cramped back yard - and it seems all the tuning and radial work of the
past few months really paid off.  I reached my score from last year on the
first night - and made the same amount of Q's on night #2.

I worked 42 states, including 7 new ones (out west) - WA & ID just couldn't hear
me across the country.  D4 and KP2 were my new DX.
Never did hear DC - and it's just five minutes down the street...

Funniest QSO was on Sunday afternoon with NS3X - I'm sure he thought
someone was screwing with him when they kept answering his CQ's
with NS3T!

Next stop, ARRL CW...

73s Jamie NS3T

IC-706