[3830] IARU KH6VV(@KH6DV) M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jul 16 02:19:15 EDT 2003

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KH6VV
Operator(s): KH6DV + PACKET
Station: KH6DV

Class: M/S LP
QTH: ZONE 61

  160:    -      -      -
   80:   62     71     19
   40:   63     58     23
   20:   73    301     55
   15:   75     76     25
   10:   37      5     15
---------------------------
Total:  310    511    137  Total Score = 538,821

Club: World Wide Old Contesters

Comments:

Although I cant use packet while transmitting (it kills the link) I did monitor
DX Summit during my breaks. I was just too curious about what everyone was
working given the poor conditions. Even though I didnt make a single contact due
to packet, the fact that I did monitor the band conditions makes my operation a
M/S by the rules.  The conditions were strange to say the least.
Normally easy mults were at times very hard to work. Normally hard to work areas
were often very easy, The propagation world was upside down. There were numerous
Indian Ocean/Far East/Eastern Russian/Asian stations with North American
stations on top of them, each unaware of the other. I had a lot of contacts that
no propagation program would predict, it was that strange.
>From my vantage point participation was low. The one exception was the number of
HQ stations. B4HQ was everywhere as was W1AW/3. The DA0 operation was amazing,
they were workable on bands where they should not have even been detectable.
8Q7LC was a pleasent surprise. I should have spent less time on low productivity
bands like 10 and 80 and more time on cw. The cw activity was very good, some of
the cw only entries certainly show where the action was. One post said that this
was a good contest format wasted on poor summer propagation, I agree.

Ron KH6DV (KH6VV)