[3830] Only working your own society's station and nobody elses

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 12:12:19 EDT 2003

The more I hear this idea the more intrigued of it I become... my
initial thinking was negative based on prior operating experiences form
a HQ station... the thrill I had of being able to run run run since we
were essentially DX (a multiplier) was to some extent fueled by those
same county QSOs. This is kind of like the argument put forth by N6AA a
few years back about unique QSOs made with buddies and then the switch
being thrown to off.

I know the impact to W1AW/# operations would be great - but - if there
are guys who are being coerced into getting on to only work their
national society's station in an effort to run up QSO totals perhaps
this should be a concern to all.

I know that when the Florida Contest Group ran W1AW/4 we had a lot of W
contacts...they are not worth a lot, no - but on a band like 20 SSB they
do add up!  There is no way a country the size of the USA can hope to
compete with the European efforts due to the fact that the countries in
Europe are smaller and closer so they are "DX" - similar QSOs distance
wise here are just another "domestic" call area and of low point value.

For the USA operations of W1AW/# the location of the station plays
largely into how much dependence there is on Domestic QSOs - obviously
as in any DX competition the Northeast USA will have a decided advantage
on the low bands to Europe, here in the Southern USA we have a "domestic
advantage" on the higher bands due to North South propagation to the
major population centers.

Like any rule change this has the potential to change the history of
previous records and as always I am not keen on that...

I would be interested to know how "bad" this has gotten on the other
side of the pond... needless to say, if country X hams only work Society
X club station and country X has more hams than country Y then this
would help "level" things ( I hate that expression ) for ham radio
active countries in Europe who are actively pursue these competitions.

A national society like Monaco could probably get 12 band modes worth of
QSOs... but certainly could not work as many stations in its own country
as say Germany or Nederlands...

Is this bad, or only bad if you are a ham in a smaller country?

Good topic...

Jim, K4OJ