[3830] ARRLDX SSB N6IG(@W6GO) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 3 09:58:14 EST 2003

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6IG
Operator(s): N6IG
Station: W6GO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SV

  160:    7     6
   15:  939   105
Total: 2448   362  Total Score = 2,657,442

To quote the words of esteemed philosopher N.D. Gumby:  "My brain hurts!".

Conditions are certainly on the decline.  While better than the CW weekend, it
was still really a tough time.  Thank goodness for the second radio to keep
things interesting.  The first three hours were quite good into JA, with hours
of 145, 157 and 126.  But 10 closed up tight at 01Z, and 15 shut down about the
same time as on CW.  40 meters the first night was pretty good;  I thought I
would be at a disadvantage since the top 40 meter yagi (at 150') was damaged in
a recent windstorm and is QRT for the moment.  I was forced to use the "little
antenna", a 4 element yagi at 85'.  But lots of loud Europeans and, more
importantly, they heard me.  (They are usually loud but deaf due to QRM I
suppose.)  Also only had two 80 meter flattops at 100' instead of the rotating
dipole at 160' due to the same wind damage of late.

My goal was to break the W6 single-op record, which I did by about 6%.  It was
nice to have that goal to push me along, because it was so discouraging
otherwise on Saturday morning.

The 1.5 hour nap idea really works well, especially if you do it just before
your normal wake-up time.  A nap Saturday morning and a nap Sunday morning did a
world of good, although the Sunday nap did leave me rather clueless on how to
operate the radios for a short while.  (Of course there are those that would
argue I am always clueless on how to operate...)

Thanks again to W6GO and K6HHD for opening up their home to me and for putting
up with my bellowing and bleating all weekend!