[3830] BARTG AA5AU SO Expert HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 16 18:22:09 EST 2003

                    BARTG Spring RTTY Contest

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: SO Expert HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   17    2    11
   40:   52    8    13
   20:  138   31    19
   15:  258   49    21
   10:  115   31    15
------------------------
Total:  580  121    79  Total Score = 696,000

With the low bands noisy the first night and the K of 5 index on Saturday, I
decided to do other things.  The weather Saturday during the day was too nice to
be inside struggling with crap condx.  Got a late start anyway.  Got home to
find the NIR-12 I'd bought on E-Bay had arrived.  Spent the first hour of the
contest making cables for it to replace the NIR-10 on the B radio.  It worked
great and now have an NIR-12 on both radios - sweet!

By Sunday the K had dropped to 2 and what a difference it made.  Had fun on
Sunday as 10 and 15 meters were very good.  Took time out to watch an exciting
NASCAR race and BBQ some chicken - yum!  40 and 80 were still noisy the last few
hours but made up a lot of ground with new multipliers.  Surprised I scored as
well as did for only working less than half the contest.

Almost lost my cool a couple of times and decided not to publicly call IK2UTT a
jerk (oops I did anyway) and NOT to kill the next station that sends me a
WKD B4 message.  Not sure what people think when they decline to dupe people who
obviously do not have them in their log.  I hope they lose the points because
they deserve it.  OK, I feel better now.

Ten meters was a little weird.  Seemed like everything was coming in at 60
degrees, especially EU.  Had a couple of OH and SM stations call me and when I
turned the beam to 30 degrees, they were gone!  Back to 60 degrees and they were
strong.  All EU was coming in at 60 degrees.  Had to go out and check the
antenna orientation.  15 was open all the way to the near the end of the contest
which was great.

Looks like I'm on-call at work again for EA contest, so probably another
part-time effort (I hate when work gets in the way).  Had fun.  Thanks for all
the QSO's.