[3830] OkQP K5TTT Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 24 16:47:08 EST 2003

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5TTT
Operator(s): K5TTT
Station: K5TTT

Class: Rover LP
QTH: Rogers
Operating Time (hrs): 13:23

  160:
   80:          30
   40:           6      1
   20:         191
   15:           7
----------------------------
Total:   0     235      1  Mults = 46  Total Score = 21,758

Ok not bad.  450 miles, 12 counties, tons of fun.. ..but Single Op Rover is not
easy.

Planned as much as we could before the trip and it ended up paying off.  Still
took pencils and paper just in case.  I had no mechanical or RF problems to hold
me back.  New rig worked flawlessly along with antenna, never a problem.
Biggest problem wasn't realized until sundown.  I got away about 2 hours after I
desired and the sun was going down as I entered Major county and the Q's dropped
off significantly from the east coast.

Picked up a few in Washington on the way through.  Stopped in downtown
Bartlesville for a few Q's.  After this I realized that I could not 1. Drive,
2.Navigate, 3. Operate and 4. Log all at the same time.

Next was Osage county and handed out several Q's after finding a nice big hill
to sit on top of.  This ended up being the theme of the day.

Kay was next and had a pretty good run there.  No propagation on 10m at all.  EU
started coming in on 20.  Started working HA's and OZ's here and in the next
couple of counties too.

Grant was a wanted county and had a real good run there.  There are no hills in
Grant county so found a mound to sit on and could still see for miles.  Picked
up a few Q's on 15 while going down the road towards Alfalfa.  15 was open fine
but the bands were quiet.  I enjoy a good clear frequency but with 50kc between
signals it makes it hard for folks to find you.  So logging was nice and slow
and I could peek over to the keyboard while I was driving.

Alfalfa was another good one.  Stopped and picked something up for dinner and
went out to the Great Salt Plains State Park and found a picnic table to eat and
a place to park and hand out the county.

Woods was another good run 42 Q's from Woods in the log.  Good propagation on 20
to all over.

Woodward was good but here's when I noticed my problem.  Propagation was
starting to deteriorate as the sun went down on the east coast and a lot of
those stations were gone by the time I left leaving fewer than desired Q's in
Major county.

After Major county 20 was very quiet.  40 was almost unusable due to bdcst stns
until later in the night.  Handed out only a few in Garfield, none in Pawnee and
only a couple on 40 in Tulsa.  Filled in several mults on 80 from Rogers and
went to bed.  80 was in good shape by late evening.

I heard folks working N5OK all day long.  He's got to have a good log.  I heard
the pileup that W5ATV had in Dewey.  That may have made their trip.  Curious how
many Q's you guys got from Dewey.  Only heard 1 station working K5PX.  Shared a
freq with Coy a few times, once I realized I moved.  Ended up at 275 at one
point.  Had a lot of activity this year.  I think N4PN was good at spotting us
on the cluster.

Got NL7UZ for AK and K4MUT/m in RI and CT.  KK7AC and N5DO worked us in 7
counties, NF4A in 6 and several others in 4 or 5.  Missed HI, IA, AR, NM, ID,
MT, NH and VT.  46 mults and 236 Q's.  Not fantastic but respectable.  Bettered
N5OK rover score from last year but I'm pretty sure that Coy and the W5ATV bunch
did pretty well and probably scored above me.  Doesn't matter though it was fun
and worth it.  I do it again, DEFINITELY, but not tomorrow.  This was great fun.
 I think I'll see if I can get a logger next year.  That's the one thing that
would have made it much easier.  Would have been nice to try and pick up those
last mults in the morning after getting back.

Thanks everyone for working us and getting on the air.  And sharing the stories.