[3830] VY2ZM - ARRL DX CW SCORE SO/AB/HP

K1ZM at aol.com K1ZM at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 16:48:25 EST 2003

VY2ZM - 2003 ARRL DX CW SO/AB/HP Unassisted

160   208     53
  80   443     65
  40   962     84
  20   733     91
  15   816     90
  10   770     86

Totals   3932    469   Score 5,532,324

Comments:

First - thanks to all those who called.  Always nice to see old friends.

Now, a couple of observations.  Being further North in VY2 presents some
interesting propagation.  At times, it can be a real ADVANTAGE (especially on
the lowbands).

At OTHER TIMES, it can can be a severe DISADVANTAGE.  The location is just
far enuff NORTH for aurora to impact high-band condx during moderate
disturbances and, during ARRL CW, this was pretty much the story for me.
Here's what I remember about Friday night/Saturday morning during the contest:

a) 40M EU sigs going watery on me about 0130z on Friday night - I had to drop
    80CW where the rate was a bit slower - no choice,,,,,
b) 20M opening one hour LATE for me on Saturday morning - as compared to
AA1K, KQ2M and others who I could hear running stations that I could not even
here in VY2
as the band opened
b) 10M not opening to Europe at all (except marginally) the first day

So, you never know how things will develop - you just go with it and see what
happens - HI.    I had a feeling I was being impacted somewhat by condx but
wasn't entirely sure until I saw the other scores come in.

SSB mode was quite a bit different and (obviously) I enjoyed it a bit more.

Congrats to Dave NT1N, Bob KQ2M, Scott W4PA and Dan K1TO on some nice scores.

CU in the next one!

73 JEFF - VY2ZM

K1ZM at aol.com

Sunday seemed a